Below are the minimum requirements for the Upper School's 1:1 Laptop Environment.
The EAB 1:1 program is platform independent, but EAB recommends and can assist with support for Mac OS or MS Windows. Most laptops purchased within the last 2 years with 2-4 GB RAM and a functional wireless card are able to meet specifications.
What should an Upper School student be able to do with his/her laptop?
- Connect to the EAB wireless network
- Access web pages/Google Apps/e-mail/library on-line resources
- Create documents, spreadsheets and presentations that can be saved or accessed as .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx (Aside from Microsoft Office, free options such as Open Office, Google Apps, or iWork will be able to do this)
- Create and read .pdf files
- View any necessary ebooks
- Run Java and Flash applications
- View and submit course related images such as .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.
- View course related videos via Internet services such as YouTube or Vimeo, or in common formats such as .avi and .mp4
- Play or produce course related audio (podcasts) - .mp3, etc.
- Utilize webcam and microphone with proper software for recording video and audio
- Run required course-specific software, which may include products such as, LoggerPro (Science), MathType, Geometer's Sketchpad (Math), GeoGebra (Math/Science) etc.
- Backup all files via external storage (physical or to the cloud)
- Protect against malware, spyware, and other viruses
- Perform tasks such as adding printers or downloading software
- Connect to classroom projector, using VGA or HDMI video adaptor if necessary, and speakers using 3.5 mm stereo plug
- Access and complete the NWEA MAP test. The required software can be found and installed through the following links (links can only be accessed inside the EAB campus): MAC | PC.
Generally speaking, laptops purchased within the last year or two will meet these specifications. If your laptop does not meet the criteria above, EAB recommends that families purchase a NEW laptop that meets, at a minimum, the following specifications:
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Mac OSX 10.12.6 as the Operating System
- RAM: 6GB
- Hard Drive: 160 GB or higher
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- Wireless Card: 802.11n
- Warranty Extension/Accidental Coverage
- External hard drive to use at home for backup
- Headphones (small in-ear phones are sufficient)
- Laptop case or laptop sleeve to protect in backpack
- Identification tag
- VGA or HDMI video adapter
- Plug adaptor for the new Brazilian 3-prong standard