Families of EAB students in sixth grade or above are required to provide their student with a laptop computer for daily use at school. Much of our curriculum is computer-based and requires a relatively recent laptop to access materials and complete classwork.
The EAB 1:1 program is operating system independent but EAB recommends, and can assist with support for, Mac OS or Microsoft Windows machines. Chromebook computers are acceptable and often less expensive than Macintosh or Windows computers. Please note that students in the IB program will need a computer that has Adobe Acrobat DC installed. Chromebooks are not sufficient for students in the IB program.
Generally speaking, laptops purchased within the two years will meet EAB specifications. If your laptop does not meet the criteria below, EAB recommends that families purchase a NEW laptop:
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Mac OSX 10.12.6 or newer as the operating system. Chromebook OS is also supported until 11th grade.
- 12" or larger screen (avoid 11" screens)
- RAM: 4 GB
- Hard Drive: 160 GB SSD or higher (Chromebooks: 16GB)
- Processor: Intel Core i5 or higher
- Wireless: 802.11a or ac (5GHz wifi is required)
- Warranty Extension/Accidental Coverage recommended
- Required accessories:
- Headphones (small in-ear phones are sufficient)
- Laptop case or laptop sleeve to protect in backpack
- Identification tag
- Plug adapter for the Brazilian 3-prong standard
What should an Upper School student be able to do with his/her laptop?
- Connect to the EAB wireless network
- Access web pages/Google Apps/e-mail/library on-line resources
- Create documents, spreadsheets and presentations that can be saved or accessed as .docx, .xlsx, or .pptx (Aside from Microsoft Office, free options such as Open Office, Google Apps, or iWork will be able to do this)
- Create and read .pdf files
- View any necessary ebooks
- View and submit course-related images such as .jpg, .gif, .png, etc.
- View course related videos via Internet services such as YouTube or Vimeo, or in common formats such as .avi and .mp4
- Play or produce course-related audio (podcasts) - .mp3, etc.
- Utilize webcam and microphone with proper software for recording video and audio
- Run required course-specific software, which may include products such as, LoggerPro (Science), MathType, Geometer's Sketchpad (Math), GeoGebra (Math/Science) etc.
- Backup all files via external storage (physical or to the cloud)
- Protect against malware, spyware, and other viruses
- Perform tasks such as adding printers or downloading software
- Connect to classroom projector, using a VGA or HDMI video adapter if necessary, and speakers using 3.5 mm stereo plug
- Access and complete the NWEA MAP test. The required software can be found and installed through the following links: MAC | PC.