The Lower School Counselor works with kids from K3 through 5thgrade. The focus is on the students' emotional well-being, academic success, personal and social development including learning and living our T.R.R.F.C.C core values which are: Trustworthiness, Respect, Responsibility, Fairness, Caring and Citizenship. In order to provide a well-rounded counseling program, our counselor's services include the following:
- Individual counseling - Students are encouraged to use the counseling office for any academic, emotional, or social needs on short-term basis. In some cases, long term or external counseling for the child may be recommended to parents. Teachers may also refer students for support as needed.
- Group counseling - Academic support, study skills, support for children experiencing divorce or changing families, anger management, friendship issues, bullying, grief support, etc. are some of the types of support provided during group counseling on an as-needed basis.
- School Community – In order to provide support for social and emotional well being, our lower school counselor consults with teachers in planning individual programs and behavioral interventions, helps students solve problems on the playground and monitors student transitions by providing support when needed.
Students with Exceptional Needs
The Lower School has a Student Success Team (SST) that is composed of the Divisional Principal, Counselor, Reading Specialist, Learning Resource Specialist, ELL Teacher, Portuguese Teacher, Classroom Teacher and any other staff member as needed depending on the case. SST meets on a weekly basis to review any new referrals or follow up on previously referred students who are demonstrating extraordinary need at school. Referrals can be made by teachers, counselors, parents or outside professional and are used for the intention of identifying student needs and working to identify strategies to meet those needs in the most appropriate way possible. Any referral made will be shared with the parent(s) and goals will be mutually set for home and school with the necessary school staff and parents.
Referrals to SST may be made for a variety of reasons, including but not limited to:
- A student demonstrating academic performance that is not on grade level (may be significantly higher or lower than expectations)
- A student demonstrating difficulty meeting social grade level or developmental expectations
- A student demonstrating difficulty making positive choices in the school environment
- A student exhibiting extraordinary emotional need
- A student demonstrating other significant need as determined by school staff, parents or outside professionals
The Lower School Counselor, Ms. Debora Santos, is the point person for the Student Success Team and can be reached at the email listed below with her bio.